Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Music - The Decemberists, Charles Bradley, Wanda Jackson

I've recently listened to The Decemberists' "The King Is Dead." I enjoy everything about this album except for one thing: Colin Meloy's voice. I like everything else, the songs, arrangements, and I like Meloy's lyrics, even his $10 words, but the voice... maybe I should give it more time.



I purchased the debut album from Charles Bradley, "No Time For Dreaming." Daptone Records can do no wrong, it seems. It's great to see older artists making a name for themselves after toiling for years searching for a music career.



I'm really enjoying this - it doesn't have the immediate kick of, say, an Aloe Blacc, but it's solid songwriting that transmogrifies (speaking of $10 words) into a warm soul blanket after only a few listens.

I also listened to Wanda Jackson's new album, "The Party Ain't Over" that was produced by Jack White. Again, love the music, love, love, love White's guitar playing, but, again, this artist's voice is not one I can listen to repeatedly.

Here's a video of her in her heyday - what a firecracker:



Here's her and Mr White's recent appearance on Letterman:



Again, love the music and love the idea of older performers getting their ya-yas out, but the voice... God bless her and America, though.

Looking forward to the new North Mississippi Allstars album next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment