Sunday, January 30, 2011

To Have and Have Not

I watched Howard Hawks's "To Have and Have Not" film (loosely) based upon Ernest Hemingway's novel of the same name. This was Humphrey Bogart's (Harry "Steve" Morgan) and Lauren Bacall's (Marie "Slim" Browning) first movie together - they purportedly fell in love during the filming. Their chemistry is undeniable. Walter Brennan plays Eddie, Harry's alcoholic friend. Brennan's Eddie is a little over the top to our modern tastes, I think, but is lovable none the less. The Germans are a little curious as the head officer appears Samoan, but I'm sure the Germans enlisted creeps both far and wide.

The story isn't what you watch this movie for. You watch it for Bacall's and Bogart's performances, waiting for the classic lines such as "put your lips together and blow." As a bonus, Hoagy Carmichael plays Cricket, and provides a couple of velvet-voiced performances.

4 comments:

  1. Michael10:18 PM

    Hoagy Carmichael is such a cool dude (and a hoosier to boot). Have you ever seen "Young Man with a Horn"? Cool, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen "Young Man with a Horn." It's in my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of Humphrey Bogart but I still haven't seen this. Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bogart, Bacall, Hawks, Hemingway and Faulkner. Oh yes, Hoagy Carmichael, too. I'm sure you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete