Monday, January 31, 2011

Raging Bull

I christened my Blu-Ray player with "Raging Bull" - a Scorsese flick I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't seen. This is an amazing film - I think I was struck most by the use of cameras, women and fighting (natch) during slow-motion sequences. All of them are loved and, at times, manipulated well by Lamotta, but ultimately destroy him. This was Pesci's first major film and he is spectacular. I need to see "Ordinary People" again, but I can't imagine how that beat this out for best picture in 1980.

I think I stayed away from this movie because of my general queasiness with blunt-force, pugilistic trauma. After seeing it, I will probably not watch it again because my fears were realized. However, the cinematography is breath-taking and was worth the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment